Saturday, January 6, 2007

South Alabama's campus bookstore a bastion of rudeness

Long lines and high prices are a staple at the University of South Alabama bookstore. Now, I can add rude cashiers and backwards policies to the list.
During the break I wanted to get a head start on the spring semester so I decided to pick up some of my textbooks.
I attempted to get the books from the website because of bad experiences in the past but they kept delaying the day when books would be available. I finally relented and went inside.
I tracked down the books I needed and went to pay for then. When I got to the register, instead of a ‘hello’, I get “This is non-returnable.”
Forget the fact I keep the vast majority of my books for a moment. The blunt demeanor of the woman ringing me up took me aback. I asked why and she replied in the same robotic voice “This is non-returnable.”
I informed her it was a textbook and she told me that was why I could not bring it back. I asked when they had begun this policy and she told me it has always been this way.
Three years of undergrad and two as a graduate student, I have never heard this before.
I asked her if this was to discourage people from buying early and she replied with a matter-of-fact “Yes.”
Apperantly, buying early is some sort of mortal sin at our campus bookstore.
It is not a big deal, as like I said, I keep most of my books. But, it would have been nice if she had politely explained why instead of just marking in big red letters on my receipt “No Return.”
Instead of a half-hearted apology or lame explanation, all I got was a bad attitude which pretty much told me to get out of her store.
This is the exact reason why I always try to buy online. Not only are the prices better, you do not have to deal with a stressed-out cashier who hates you simply because you are in the store. I can overlook having to navigate my away across piles of books and empty boxes. I can forgive the 80% markup on used books. But there is no reason to not allow a return on a textbook and then get grouchy when the customer enquires why.
The irony in this entire situation is that the bookstore is well aware of how they treat their customers. I will quote Brian W. Catlin in the Oct. 23, 2006 issue of the Vanguard, in a response to a similar article from another member of our staff:
“I would like to apologize to you for such a disappointing experience in the Bookstore and assure you that we value our customers and appreciate their business.”
He ends his letter with “We will use this experience as a reminder of the importance of knowing our customer’s expectations and our mission to exceed them.”
You did meet my expectations, Mr. Catlin, as I always expect to have a negative experience in the USA Bookstore.
Looks like I will have to go back to my habit of shopping online.
And if that does not work, well, hey, Anders is right across the street.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

People should read this.